Saturday, October 22, 2011

Microteaching 4 - Meat & Alternatives

Oktober Fest







Dishes:
1. Stuffed chicken wings
2. Chicken stew with puff pastry
3. Beef kebab
4. Minced beef in cabbage roll



Meat! Meat! And more meat!! Yeah, today's ingredients is on meat! I believed it's not only my favourite food but everyone's else too.

I believe everyone in the class was looking forward and excited to all the dishes we are going to prepare when Ms Chin announced at the beginning of the lesson that the meat ordered was expensive so it should be of premium quality!! However, it was quite a shame that I could not eat the beef. But nevertheless, I was not turn off during the lesson.







Learning how to debone an uncooked chicken is a new technique that I take home with me after the lesson although I already knew how to debone cooked chicken wings.

At first, I thought it would be difficult to do so because the uncooked chicken meat would have been attached firmly to the bones but after Shahirah demonstrated and explained to me on how to go about doing it, it was quite easy to do, just that we got to be extra careful to leave the chicken wing intact as a whole for stuffing to be done later.




The decoration and presentation make me feel as though I am in a real oktober fest!! With the use of wooden chopping boards, a different way of how food are presented compared to the past few microteaching decorations. It also included drinks, just that the drink was a non-alcoholic one. Although the preparation of beef kebab was an easy one, the premium wagyu beef makes it stand out from the rest. The comments I got from my friends was that the beef tastes tender and juicy even though no mechanical or natural tenderizer was used in preparing the beef. So the $140+ of beef was worth it! Hee...

Learning point to take home with:
(1) We must always compare the prices of the ingredients we intend to buy from suppliers to supermarkets and wet markets to make sure that the ingredients are not over-priced by the suppliers though there will be some discrepancies in the pricing. Sometimes, it might be cheaper to not buy from the school's suppliers and to get it on our own.

(2) Teacher should also teach through explaining why certain preparation steps need to be done before cooking. For example, both edges of pandan leaves need to be trim and they needs to be boiled/steamed to prevent it from breaking when folding them into the desired shapes.

This would be the last week we can enjoy the meat dishes (which I believed everyone did considering the ingredients to be the most and will be the most expensive ingredients ordered across 6 microteaching groups) as the last two microteaching would be on lacto-ovo-vegetarian and fruits & vegetables. So Enjoy!!

Here are the dishes I prepared:














Stuffed chicken wings












Cooked chicken stew scooped into ramekins &


Baked chicken stew
with puff pastry




















Beef kebabs (was a shame that I could not eat beef)










Minced chicken in cabbage roll

(change the fillings from beef to chicken!)




**Sorry for the late posting

No comments:

Post a Comment