Saturday, October 22, 2011

Microteaching 2 - Baked Products

Royal Tea Party







Dishes:
1. Chewy chocolate orange cookies
2. Egg tart
3. Cream puffs
4. Scones



BAKING!!! Has always been my favourite as compared to stir-frying, steaming or deep-frying. Deep frying is never my cup of tea mainly because the food prepared is not only oily, it also causes the whole kitchen to be smoked with oil. Whenever I had the free time, I would prefer to bake - brownies, chocolate cake, fruit cake and even cheesecake! So I am very excited on this week microteaching and glad to say, I was pleased with my dishes except for the custard filling for my cream puffs.

The decoration and presentation was more exquisite as they might have learnt from the first group and improve on it. It could also be due to the theme being royalty so all decorations and presentations used are glassware and ceramic. What caught my eye were the presentations of the egg tarts and cream puffs. Instead of just putting a few egg tarts on a white plate, they present it using a bell-shaped glass. The cream puffs presentation was interesting too as they were in shapes of swan.

Learning points to take home with:
(1) The custard which I prepared for the cream puffs was a failure as the egg was cooked so it no longer has the smooth consistency which it should turn out to be. I must take extra care that the mixture (consisting of butter, flour, milk and sugar) must be cooled before adding the egg yolk if I were to prepare the custard again.

(2) When I was preparing the chewy chocolate orange cookie, I thought the orange juice was to be added into the cookie mixture but only the orange zest was added instead. To prevent wastage of the orange juice, I suggest we could add some of the juice into the cookie mixture or just drink it as orange juice!

(3) Labellings of how much ingredients could be stated at the ingredients station to prevent confusion and slowing down of ingredients collection.


Here are the dishes I baked:












Egg tarts (I did egg tarts using steaming method before & prefer this methods as the egg custard and the pastry are of better texture)














Cream puffs (my custard filling was a failure but thanks to Andrea and Khye who were kind to spare me some of theirs)













Scones (like the evenly browned coloured of it but scones are never what I like to eat as it is hard and plain although it is often accompanied with jam and tea as high tea food)


Forgot to take the chewy chocolate orange cookies..maybe it was too yummy that we ate them all. Hee...


**Sorry for the late posting

No comments:

Post a Comment